Monday, April 6, 2015

Shoulder Puppets, glee! (also, Drabbit for sale)

I used to go to Renn Faires a lot when I lived in my home state. I love them. We have a big one here in the Land of Flat as well, but my husband is not so fond of the heat and walking combined, so we never go. Plus, he tells me bees & wasps are RAMPANT there, like nobody's business, and there is one thing I am terrified of on God's Green Earth and that is bugs. Especially bees and wasps. So, yeah, we've never gone.

But I've been to so many back at my old home state, and I always loved shoulder dragons. In my day they were all fabric and sewn together to twist on your arm/shoulder with wired tails and the like, though. Puppets were a novelty - I never saw them at one I went to. But I've kept up my knowledge and seen what folks made over the years. Marvelous! I've wanted one for awhile. I re-researched and found two names: Woodbabies and Drabbits. 

Let me mention that I was completely unbiased going into this. I didn't know anything about any bad blood, lawsuits, etc., or anything anyone else said about the puppet types. I just looked at both the websites and peeked about on eBay. Only sites I could find at first, actually, were those two, it seemed the main ones. I lucked out and got a "Drabbit" gryphon on eBay for way less then it should have been (adult, 2 cable). When it arrived I immediately placed him somewhere safe and tootled around with the cables. The one bobbled his head about like it was broken, creepily, but kind of cute. The other sort of just... I don't know ... humped his butt? (I know, I know, but it's as good a description of what he does as I can think of.) The feet and legs dangled and got tangled as well. Hmm. Not very sturdy, I thought. And bad choice for real fur - wetting it is bad, and repair is a nightmare.

Okay... hey, it also looks like I'd have to get a saddle for him, which cost another $30 plus shipping or sommat. Whut? To me, this dude looks like he's just milking money out of folks. His stuff is more expensive, and then you have to buy a saddle to boot? Meh.

What prompted this post? I just got the package that would change my puppet days. A little mouse woodbaby, adorable, (real fur again). The eyes were better (the drabbit had "cloudy" cheap-looking eyes), the design was better, the cable movements were way more realistic and it seemed far more sturdy. I love him! Now I understand why folks praise the "Midsummer Night Dream guy" instead of the "Drabbit guy". One is clearly better, made with way more love, and priced better - with more options so that folks that aren't rich can get one.

Nice. I'm constantly checking his Etsy page now so I can adopt a new critter. I love these!

* the drabbit is right now up for sale on eBay... he's already sold, thanks :D

Click eBay Link Here




No comments: