Thursday, October 26, 2017

Cultural Appropriation & Halloween

*sigh*

Okay, so on my Google news cards today was a story about Halloween, so I clicked it. The article poo-pooed the "leftist" society* that is screaming that kids that aren't Hawaiian can't be Moana for Halloween because it's - you guessed it -- "cultural appropriation". It's stealing from their culture and it's the worst thing ever.

Oh, and that's NOT the rant, folks, ha! Of course! Because, while I believe this is bullshit PC crap (she's a freaking Disney Princess character for god's sake, let the little girls look up to her and want to be her for Halloween)... the article turned sour. It started off just fine, as I despise people that get too politically correct. There's a thing as taking stuff too far, and if a white girl wants to be a Samoan Princess, then you all should be thrilled that the little white girl WANTS to be her, because she doesn't see that the character has any difference to her. It's how we want society to move - as a whole, not seeing colors, sexual orientation, gender, etc., as anything that separates us. We are all human.

So I'm thinking, 'okay, huh. This seems to be something I agree with...'

The asshole writer says that if he wants to dress up as Harvey Weinstein it's okay.

[ *insert facepalm image here* ]

I mean, I'll defend your desire to do as you wish to the death, sir. Don't get me wrong. But there's a difference between wanting to dressing as someone you look up to although your culture is different and dressing as someone who has destroyed the lives of countless people while remaining of the thought that their lives do not matter.

Dressing up as him to make him look bad, ie., a social commentary on how much of a monster he is... eh. That's a different story. But I think this moron meant actually going as the man who is unrepentant about the terrible things he did.

Again, if you want to be an asshole, that's up to you. But I would hope that whatever party you go to the folks have the common decency that you seem to lack, and boo the shit out of you.




* wik: honestly, the way we split ourselves up is ridiculous, there's not just "black" and "white", "left" and "right" people - and that's the basic problem, and for another rant

* also wik: by the way, I'm dressing up as a sea cow for Halloween! Hooray!

No comments: